I love the slightly tangy & sweet combo of a raspberry chocolate anything, so here’s a decadent chocolate raspberry cupcake recipe using a devil’s foodcake base and a basic raspberry butter icing.
The “What” & “How” of the Chocolate Cupcakes:
1/2 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
110 ml full fat milk
110g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
25g cocoa powder
55g unsalted butter @ room temp
125g caster sugar
1 large egg
4 tbsp sugar
1 tsp water
1 tbsp grand marnier (optional but I think I do love my jams with a hint of orange liqueur!)
170g unsalted butter
340g icing sugar
Making the Raspberry jam:
– Place raspberries, sugar & water in a saucepan and bring to boil.
– Then turn the heat down and let it simmer for 10 – 15 mins
– Add the grand mariner and let it bubble for a minute or so, then turn off the heat.
– Let it cool.
Making the cupcakes:
1. Preheat Oven to 180 Deg C.
2. Add lemon juice to milk and set aside
3. Sift flour & baking soda & cocoa powder into a bowl
4. In a seperate bowl, cream the butter & sugar until light and fluffy, followed by the egg.
5. Beat in the flour & powder mixture, a third at a time, alternating with the soured milk, until everything is mixed in.
6. Spoon mixture into paper cases and bake for 20 mins and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool.
To make the icing:
– Beat the butter in a bowl, then add the icing sugar, a third at a time.
– Then mix in a tbsp or 2 of the cooled raspberry ‘jam’ (keep the rest for future use or spread over bread for breakfast!) and quickly blend.
– Ice the cupcakes anyway you want. With a spatula or use a piping bag to create pretty little swirls.